Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ice cream fondant cake

This is the most recent cake that I made and decorated. It was for a cake raffle fundraiser for the kids' school and I really look forward to this event every year. My inspiration came from a lovely cake I found on Pinterest. I made the two layers using this fantastic recipe (I will have to make a cake of our own to enjoy - my taste test consisted of the paper-thin layer I sliced off the top to even up the layers). I also used the ever-indespensible Duff's White Buttercream Fondant. Yes, it's pre-made but it works so well and a butter flavouring adds, well...flavour! It's available at Michael's craft store (and really affordable if you use their weekly 40% off coupon!).

Before: Here is the two-layer cake with Duff Goldman's Buttercream Fondant


After: Ta-da! Here's the finished product!


It was a lot of fun to put this together. Everyone chipped in too. My husband saved my sanity at 2 a.m. by coming in and making the little white pearls/beads that sit around the base. By that time I had limited patience to make them as uniformly perfect as he did!

Bead trim at base of cake makes the edge seamless.


 My oldest daughter helped model some of the treats, also made from fondant coloured with gel food colouring by Wilton. I bought a combo pack of 12 colours from Bulk Barn for around $20 - a great investment because I can make virtually any colour I need now by blending the different shades.


Here's a closer look at the details:

Swirly pops, straws cut to size for the sticks.
Chocolate bonbon - all fondant.
Mock sugared-citrus slices


And the crowning glory is a "melting" ice cream cone with sprinkles. This treat isn't entirely faked. The cone is a real sugar cone and the inside of the scoop of ice cream is a hidden goodie - I made Rice Krispie balls and used one for the base and covered it with fondant (a trick I learned from watching Ace of Cakes)!

Hidden goodie inside.

I was really happy with the result and I hope who ever won this cake at the school enjoyed it! Interested to learn more? Reach me on Twitter @MissNancyC or email me: nceresia@rogers.com. As always, share the link and your comments below.

Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This cake is amazing! I hope it brought in a lot of dough for the school. Yah, I made that pun... Brenda

    ReplyDelete